Okay, so you want to change your diet. We all know what is healthy. Fruits and vegetables. But, how can we easily and painlessly get more and more into our lifestyles? I am going to give you 2 simple ideas.
#1 is a morning smoothie.
When I coach people to towards a new and healthier way of eating the first thing I usually have them do is change their breakfast to a morning smoothie. Smoothies not only taste great, but they are a terrific way to get a ton of nutrients in a small package.
Smoothies are easy to digest, and filling without weighing you down.
They are also a breeze to make. Here’s how to get the most bang for your smoothie buck.
1. Always have frozen fruit in your freezer. Peel very ripe bananas and put them in a freezer bag. Have a bag of frozen blueberries on hand. Peel mangos or papayas, cut them into chunks, freeze them on a cookie sheet and place them in a freezer bag. Frozen fruit makes your smoothie cold and creamy like a milkshake.
2. You can also freeze almond milk or coconut water into cubes to have on hand to chill your smoothie.
3. Place a frozen banana and some other fruit of your choice (about another 1 – 1 ½ cups of fruit) in a blender. I use a high speed Vitamex (the best blender on the planet) because it whips my smoothie up into a perfectly smooth, creamy shake.
4. Add 2 more room temperature bananas and a big handful of organic baby spinach.
5. Add about a cup of almond milk, coconut water or good purified water.
6. You can also get into adding in some superfoods… maca, rhodiola, cacao, bee pollen (not strictly vegan)… you can get really creative here, but more about that another time.
7. Blend, blend, blend baby! I always knock a few spirulina tablets back with my smoothie for a mega nutrient blast.
I also add in a raw vegan protein powder. I like Sun Warrior. I only do this when I am working out A LOT. For the average exerciser you really don’t need anything extra. Honest.
This smoothie is a meal. It has a meal sized calorie count of about 500. Don’t be afraid of calories here. They are what will keep you full until lunch time.
A word about color. A smoothie with bananas, papaya, mango or other light colored fruit will be a lovely bright green with the addition of spinach. I promise you will come to love this color. Just suck it up and get used to it. But, if you add blueberries and spinach to your smoothie it will be a dark steel gray. Seriously, a little scary. It will also taste seriously delicious, but the color may put you off a little at first.
And another thing… “chew” your smoothie, don’t just gulp it down. Digestion starts in your mouth with the enzymes in your saliva. Start the process off right and don’t bypass the first step.
Once you get used to doing this it’s a snap to make one every morning. You will be starting your day with a boost of nutrition and a leg up on your total vitamin and mineral count for the day.
The #2 suggestion I have for getting more healthy foods into your life is to make one day each week high raw vegan.
You’ve probably heard of Meatless Mondays. It’s kind of like that, but I like to focus on what I’m adding in, not what I’m taking out.
On this day start out with your smoothie. I personally eat fruit all day and move to starches and veggies at dinner. You can do this or have salad at lunch.
Here is what a day might look like…
Other dinner ideas could be no-meat chili, zucchini lasagna, vegetables and marinara sauce over pasta… the ideas are endless and so delicious. You don’t have to start out raw or ever even go there all the way. I will start posting recipes on my new website soon showing you how to do some high raw, but still cooked dishes.
The idea is to get used to “how to” do a completely healthy day, but not have to do it every day at first. There is a bit of a learning curve and we do have to get used to cooking our own food once again. We have given over far too much of the cooking to factories and big business, and we know whose interests they work for.
Can you do this? What are your thoughts and questions? Please comment below and let me know what you do to get more nutrition into your day. Do you have a great healthy dinner meal? Please let me know!
I would love to hear from you.
Peace and love,